Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Anticipation

I have long awaited reading The Count of Monte Cristo. The book appears to consist of three elements that are sure to captivate any reader fortunate enough: betrayal, adventure, and finally, revenge. Often I heard excellent reviews that compelled me to read this exquisite piece of literature, but alas, the difficulty exceeded my abilities. Perhaps now I am up for the task at hand. Such language, I predict, will be very common in this book, mostly because it was written by a frenchman in the 1800's. Having read Les Miserables, I predict the writing styles to be similar, consisting of detailed imagery and powerful diction. I also know the book takes place in the Napoleonic era, or at least when there is a sort of power struggle between Louis XVIII and Napoleon. Perhaps the time period could play a role into the activities the characters do or the characters themselves. Going off of the time period idea, I foresee a possible hinderance: there is most likely going to be certain words and references that I am not aware of, which could affect my understanding and perception of the plot and/or characters. But obviously, a simple solution would be to research the unknown terms and concepts so as to keep pace with the story.

Reading Schedule:
Section 1: 9 - 194
Section 2: 195 - 355
Section 3: 355 - 500
Section 4: 500 - end

No comments:

Post a Comment